“Drink water because it’s good for you.” It seems like this is something we’ve all heard many times throughout our lifetimes yet many of us don’t drink near enough water as we should on a daily basis. H2O helps with more than just hydration. It improves your overall health. So to help make it easier to drink more water, let’s take a look at some of the benefits of drinking at least 64 ounces of the clear stuff each day:
- Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Your body is composed of about 60% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature. (WebMD)
- Water Can Help Control Calories. For years, dieters have been drinking lots of water as a weight loss strategy. While water doesn’t have any magical effect on weight loss, substituting it for higher calorie beverages can certainly help. (WebMD)
- Water Helps Energize Muscles. Cells that don’t maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue. During exercise, experts recommend that people start drinking fluids early, and drink them at regular intervals to replace fluids lost by sweating. (WebMD)
- You Won’t Feel Exhausted or Fatigued. The body uses water to flush out toxins and body waste products. When your body is lacking water, your heart will have to work harder to get oxygen to all the cells. Also, your other vital organs have to work harder to do the same which means your organs will be exhausted from all the work and you will, too.
- Water is a Natural Headache Remedy. Water helps to relieve headache and can also help relieve back pains due to dehydration. Although many factors can contribute to headache and back pain, dehydration is the leading reason.
- You Will Feel Healthier and Less Likely to Get Sick. If you didn’t know it already, water helps fight against many ailments such as the flu, kidney stones, and even heart attack. Add some lemon to the water and you help fight rheumatism, arthritis, and respiratory disease. Water helps your immune system more than you realize.
So, with only six benefits of water listed here, you can already start to see how the simple act of drinking enough water daily can change your life significantly. If you don’t like water, look for ways to make it taste better. Fruit slices like strawberry and lemon as well as sliced cucumber flavor water well. Keep some on hand at all times so you’ll be sure to keep drinking H2O each day.