Happiness is contagious. Just think about the happiest person you know and how he or she lives their life. Are you smiling yet? Knowing someone who epitomizes the word happy brings more happiness into our lives. Our actions also help perpetuate good feelings by boosting our overall satisfaction with life.
Here are ten ways to increase your happiness right now:
- Count your blessings. Adopt an attitude of gratitude. Give thanks for all the things that make your life worthwhile. This can be the food you eat, the air you breathe, and the love and support of your family member and friends.
- Be optimistic. Always see the silver lining. Instead of thinking of the problem, consider possible solutions. There is nothing that life throws at you can’t be solved through the power of positive thinking.
- Give to others. Do it deliberately or randomly. Regular giving facilitates pride and demonstrates compassion and good will. Donate to a food or clothing drive, send money to a well-deserving charity or spend time teaching someone how to read. One person can make all the difference in improving the quality of this world.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Good people make life sweeter. That’s why you should nurture the relationships you have. Take time out of your busy schedule to make those connections today. Reach out and tell people that you love and care about them. Your happiness factor will increase immensely.
- Live in the moment. Take time to smell the roses. Don’t let a moment pass you by without being aware of it. Some of the sweetest experiences come at a time when you least expect it.
- Spend time in nature. Get outdoors and get to know your city. Go walking, hiking or biking. Discover a new park or nature center. Feel the sunshine beating down on you. A change of scenery does wonders for eliminating stress and giving you a new perspective on things.
- Take a day off just for you. You don’t have to be sick to take a day off. Plan something special for the time that you have away from work. Take yourself out to eat or to see a movie. Spend hours in a bookstore. Attend an art gallery opening or go to a concert.
- Treat your body well. Eat right, get enough exercise and sunshine to make you happy, and don’t be afraid to pamper yourself.
- Embrace who you are. There is no one on this planet that is like you. You are unique in thought, being, dreams, actions, and experiences. That’s why it’s so important for you to show the world who you are. You’ll reap endless amounts of happy feelings because of it.
- Do more of the things that bring you joy and less of the things that don’t. Do what you love because life is short. Busy work doesn’t fuel the soul. Engage in activities that stimulate your mind and body. This is your one-way ticket to a happier life.